Agenda and draft minutes
Venue: via Remote Video Link
Contact: Email: email@example.com Direct Line: 01403 215465
To receive the notes of the meeting held on 14 September 2020
The notes of the meeting held on 14 September 2020 were received by the group.
Government White Paper Consultation
To update the group on the Council’s response to the White Paper Consultation
The Head of Strategic Planning presented a summary of some key concerns & likely feedback in response to the government’s white paper – ‘Planning for the Future.’
The initial concerns and feedback included:
· Some simplification of the planning system could be beneficial
· Concerns about the focus on housing delivery and lack on climate change & biodiversity net gain
· A lack of detail in parts which makes feeding back difficult
· Concerns around the system for calculating housing numbers
· Suggestions for a penalty system for developers
· Concerns that the proposal will not provide necessary infrastructure or affordable housing
· Emphasising the retention of local DM policies as useful
· Uncertainty over the consent process
· Concerns over the increased digitalisation of the planning process excluding some of population
· Concerns over lack of clarity around the retention of the neighbourhood plans
The Head of Strategic Planning also brought a number of questions to the PDAG for councillors to address and discuss, as part of the White Paper Consultation.
Horsham District Local Plan Review
To update the group on the Local Plan Review process including evidence base updates
The Principal Planning Officer gave an update on the Viability Assessments which consultants have been commissioned to carry out as part of the Local Plan review process.
Local plans set out the contributions expected from a development. This includes setting out the levels and types of affordable housing provision required, along with the necessary infrastructure. Viability assessments are used to ensure that development is still viable and can take place.
The Principal Planning officer presented a range of issues which must be considered as part of the viability assessment process.
Gypsy and Travellers
The Principal Planning Officer gave an update on the current and future need for Gypsy & Traveller sites within the district. It is a legal requirement for Gypsy and Traveller needs to be met as part of the Local Plan, and a range of approaches to meeting this need were discussed.
To note the Forward Plan extract (if any) for the Planning and Development Portfolio
The relevant items on the forward plan were noted by the group.